Becoming a Licensed Real Estate Broker requires fulfillment of the New York State Real Estate Salesperson requirements, the successful completion of a 45-Hour Pre-Licensing Course and Exam, passing a second exam administered by the New York State Division of Licensing Services, and Application to the Department of State for Licensing.
Please note: To become a Real Estate Broker in New York, you must currently be a licensed Real Estate Salesperson, and have completed two years as a licensed Real Estate Salesperson or have three years experience in a general real estate field. If you are not a licensed Real Estate Salesperson, click on Become a Real Estate Salesperson and follow the instructions.
To Become a Licensed Real Estate Broker
- Click here to visit the New York Department of State Division of Licensing Services website to view the requirements for licensure.
- Click here to register for the Online New York 45-Hour Broker Qualifying Course. Once you've registered and paid, you can begin the course immediately. You have one year to complete the course.
Once you have completed the Online 45-Hour Course, you'll need to take two separate exams (it doesn't matter which one you take first):
- Call David Lounsbury at the Greater Binghamton Association of REALTORS® to schedule your qualifying course exam at (607) 729-6285. The exam consists of 100 multiple-choice questions, of which you must get 70% correct to pass.
- Click here to visit the New York Department of State Division Licensing Services "eAccessNY" website. Create an account, and register for the DOS Broker Licensing Exam. Take and pass the exam.
- Return to the "eAccessNY" website, log in, and look for the NY Real Estate Broker License Application. Complete the application and submit.
- Once you receive your license, you may become a Broker REALTOR® Member of the Greater Binghamton Association of REALTORS®, and become a Principal of our Multiple Listing Service. To do so, and for more information on this process and fees, please call Alison Donnelly at the Greater Binghamton Association of REALTORS® at (607) 729-6285.
- Congratulations, you are a Licensed New York Real Estate Broker, and a Broker REALTOR®!